Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port
For shuttle service to and from Airports and Cruise Ports in Fort Lauderdale or Miami
Please call 954-791-6575
Originally known as Lake Mabel, Port Everglades was officially established as a deep water harbor in 1927 and has since grown to become one of South Florida's strongest economic engines with annual operating revenues of more than $66 million and total waterborne commerce exceeding 23 million tons in liquid, b≠ulk and containerized cargoes.
More than 5,300 ships call at Port Everglades in a year forming the basis of a diverse maritime operation that includes a thriving cruise industry and a reputation as the "world's best cruise port," a growing containerized cargo business that establishes Port Everglades among the nation's top seaports, a major petroleum storage and distribution hub, South Florida's primary bulk cargo depot and a favorite U.S. Navy liberty port.
The seaport is renowned for its commitment to ongoing capital improvements, environmental protection and convenient maritime operations with unbeatable connections through the adjacent Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport and the direct links with all of Florida's highway system via I-595.
Where Exactly Is Port Everglades?
Its name somewhat misleading, Port Everglades is not a part of the wetland ecosystem known as the Florida Everglades. The seaport is, in fact, located on the southeastern coast of the Florida peninsula within the three cities of Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Dania Beach, as well as unincorporated Broward County. It is approximately 23 miles north of Miami, 48 miles south of West Palm Beach and 312 miles south of Jacksonville.
Port Everglades’ jurisdiction encompasses a total of 2,190 acres (887 hectares) which includes 1,742 acres of upland and 448 acres of submerged land. Upland acreage falls within the following municipalities:
1,242 acres or 71.3% of Port Everglades is located within the City of Hollywood.
232 acres or 13.3% is located within the City of Fort Lauderdale.
234 acres or 13.4% is located within the City of Dania.
34 acres or 2% is located within unincorporated Broward County.
History Of Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port
From the dreams of early
Efforts for port development focused around a shallow lake that was separated from the
In 1913, Marshall and Frank Stranahan (who had arrived in 1893 to operate a ferry service and later added a camp and trading post on the banks of the New River) formed the Fort Lauderdale Harbor Co., which eventually opened the
It was the founder and major developer of the City of
In 1925, Young began harbor development, at one point having 35 lumberjacks brought from
A major hurricane struck
On Feb. 22, 1928, with schools and businesses closed, some 85 percent of Broward's residents gathered for a harbor dedication event promoted as the "Wedding of the Waters." President Calvin Coolidge was to press a button at the White House detonating explosives to remove a rock barrier separating the harbor area from the ocean -- but when (and if) he pressed the button, nothing happened. The barrier was removed shortly thereafter and, by the end of 1928, some $100,000 a year of cotton products were passing through the port to
In the late 1920s and early 1930s, flour, feed, fertilizer, sugar, fruits and vegetables were commodities with the most promise. To promote the seaport's potential regional impact, several women's clubs conducted a name contest in 1930 and the regional moniker of "Port Everglades" was chosen to represent "the gateway to the rich agricultural area embraced in the four million acres at the port's very back door."
Warren T. Eller, manager of the Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, became the port's first manager in 1932, and he quickly realized one of the port's strongest advantages was its open storage space. Targeting bulk commodities such as petroleum products, lumber, cement and scrap metal, he approached firms requiring large areas to store such materials as well as shippers to carry scrap metal to
In the 1940s, Port Everglades burgeoned as a military operation and by the 1950s it was already a port of call for various around-the-world cruise itineraries. It was at this time that the Fort Lauderdale Rotary Club began a tradition of greeting ships and serving
The 1960s yielded several milestone events in port land development. Florida Power & Light Co. brought four operating units on-line at its Port Everglades Plant. Petroleum products reigned as the port's predominant commodity and the storage tank farm kept growing. In 1965, the Broward County Port Authority was renamed the Port Everglades Authority. And, in 1967, 300 acres were bought for development of what would become the thriving
The late 1970s brought the opening of Foreign Trade Zone No. 25 and the first rail-mounted container gantry crane (owned by Sea-Land Service), followed by the first port-owned gantry crane in 1981. By the late 1980s, a third gantry crane was in place, the eighth cruise terminal opened and 30 berths were operational.
Development in the 1990s included the 1991 opening of the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center at Northport, opening of two parking garages, further cruise and cargo facility enhancements and, in 1994, the transfer of seaport governance from the Port Authority to
As history has proven that careful planning pays off, the port is again updating its master plan to ensure continued growth and success through the coming years by staying at the cutting edge of technology and service.